14 July 2012

Gulliver's Travels, a real story.


One of the things I find very interesting is the way in which Swift makes the reader to be a participant in the story by making it “real”. There is a mix of fantasy and reality, and during the whole novel, we feel that the story that Gulliver is telling us actually happened, as he is all the time addressing to the reader and talking about things that could happen anywhere. 



The first fact is that Swift signed the book as Lemuel Gulliver and wrote it in first person. This made difficult not to believe these stories and, moreover, not to think that Swift and Gulliver are actually the same person. The portraits of the nations, the accuracy and the use of real places are the devices that Swift uses in order to make the reader believe his story, his travels.

I have to say that this is one of my favourite books but, actually, I don’t know if I would like the story to be true: I do not like most of the creatures depicted on the travels! And, of course, I would not like to find myself mirrored in a Yahoo!

No comments:

Post a Comment